Great Lakes Open – 9/20/14 – 9/21/14
Grand Traverse Bay YMCA, Traverse City, MI 49684
- Anita Epperly teamed with David Sabino in the Mixed Doubles 50+ division to capture the silver medal, losing twice to the gold medal team of Merriann Murphy and Larry Vanderroest, in two close games.
- Susan DeAngelis teamed up with Amy Rakowski to take home the bronze medal in the Women’s Doubles 19+ division. They avenged their first round loss as they marched back in the consolation rounds to the bronze medal match before losing to the silver medal team of Angie Reedy and Corrina Scholten.
- Liz Sepeda and Anita Epperly won their first match in the Women’s Doubles 50+ division before running in to the gold medal team of Rebecca Dobler and Carolyn Ebbinghaus and then bowing out in their first match of the consolation round.
Tournament of Champions – 09/03/14 – 09/07/14
Gullo’s Pickleball Grotto, Ogden, UT 84403
- Marsha Koch and Jess LeMire played in the Women’s Doubles Masters Open Division and had a first victory over the eventual bronze medal winners Tonja Major and Heidi Hancock in straight games (11-5, 11-7) before losing a tight three game match to the silver medalist Adina Jones and Gigi LeMaster (11-8, 9-11, 11-5). In the consolation round, Marsha and Jess barely got squeezed out 16-14 by the team of Denise Dy and Irina Tereshenko, (a couple of highly ranked tennis players).
- Marsha also teamed with Tyler Wren in the Mixed Doubles Masters Open Division to upset Heidi Hancock and Phil Bagley, (Phil is the reigning 2013 Men’s National Doubles Champion) in a second round match with an extremely close two game victory (13-11, 12-10) before bowing out in the next two matches, (the final one to the bronze medalists, Alex Hamner and Matthew Blom by a 15-11 score).
- Jess also teamed with Kyle Yates in the Mixed Doubles Masters Open Division to win one match in the second round and one match in the consolation round before losing 15-10 to the team of Hamner and Blom.
- Jess also played in the Women’s Singles Masters Open Division, losing to the silver medalist Christine McGrath in two games in the first round before bowing out in the consolation round
USAPA Great Lakes Regional 2014 – 08/15/14 – 08/17/14
Sport ONE/Parkview Fieldhouse, Fort Wayne, IN 46805
- Marsha Koch and Jess LeMire won the gold medal for the Women’s Doubles- 5.0 Division with an 11-3, 11-8 victory over Stephanie Lane and Nicole Hobson in the finals. Jess also won a bronze medal with her brother Alex in the Mixed Double 5.0 Division.
- Charlie McKnight and Dave Sabino won the gold medal for the Men’s Doubles- 4.5 Division with an 11-7, 9-11, 11-1 victory over “Oh NO, Mr. Bill” Ritchie and Ted Meyer in the finals.
- Wayne Goodwin partnered with Michael Taylor for the first time took a bronze medal in the Men’s Doubles- 3.5: (19+, 35+, 50+) Division.
2014 Michigan Senior Olympics Summer Games – 08/11/14 – 08/14/14
OPC, Rochester, MI 48307
- Tim Hacker and Charlie McKnight won the silver medal in the Men’s Doubles (60-64) Division. They beat Burt Bothell and Scott Walstra in the bronze medal round 11-7, 11-8 before bowing to David Sabino and Glenn Geda 11-3, 11-3 in the finals. Charlie won the Men’s Singles (60-64) Division by beating David Sabino in the finals 11-7, 11-4.
- JoAnne Tressler and Sharon Andersen took home the bronze medal in the Women’s Doubles (70-74) Division. JoAnne also took home a silver medal in the Women’s Singles (70-74) Division.
Royal Oak Skill Level Pickleball Tournament – 07/17/14 – 08/03/14
Pat Sullivan Pickleball Courts, Royal Oak, MI 48068
- Marsha Koch and Jessica LeMire defeated Nancy Robertson and Susan Wiartalla in the Women’s Doubles (5.0, 4.5) Division finals 11-1, 11-6. Marsha also took home the silver medal with Paul Sprainitis in the Mixed Doubles (5.0) Division. Susan teamed up with Chris McCathney to win the Mixed Doubles (4.5) division.
- Charlie McKnight and David Sabino defeated Chris Conflitti and Ross Kornoelje in the Men’s Doubles (4.5) Division finals 11-8, 6-11, 11-8.
- Susan DeAngelis and Carol Martin played in the Women’s Doubles (3.5) Division and won one match in the consolation round before losing their second match.
Brighton Bulldog Doubles Classic – July 26 & 27, 2014
Scranton Middle School Brighton, MI
- Charlie McKnight and Dave Sabino won the gold medal in the Men’s Doubles 4.5/4.0 Division.
- Anita Epperly and Peggy Bakker took the bronze medal in the Women’s Doubles 4.0 Division.
- Susan DeAngelis and Betsy Kenniston took fourth place in the Women’s Doubles 4.0 Division.
- Liz Sepeda, Nancy Meyer and Carol Martin also played in the Women’s Doubles 4.0 Division.
- Ernie Corpening and George Naymik took the bronze medal in the Men’s Doubles 3.5 Division.
- Connie Mierzejewski and Ernie Corpening took the bronze medal in the Mixed Doubles 3.0 Division.
- Connie Mierzejewski and Pat Pastorek took the bronze medal in the Women’s Doubles 3.0 Division.
Madness in Mentor Skills Pickleball Tournament – 07/12/14 – 07/13/14
Mentor Civic Center Park, Mentor, OH 44060
- Marsha Koch and Jessica LeMire defeated Susan Wiartalla and Laura Fenton 11-2, 11-1 in the finals of the Women’s Doubles (5.0) Division.
- Charlie McKnight and David Sabino defeated Duane Hill and Dave Kovanda 11-5, 11-4 in the finals of the Men’s Doubles (4.5) Division.
- Betsy Kenniston and Susan DeAngelis defeated Janet Reed and Barbara Francosky 11-3, 11-4 in the finals of the Women’s Doubles (3.5) Division.
Rochester PickleFest V – 7-12-2014
Ontario Beach Boardwalk, Rochester, NY
- Gary Ball and Duane Fregoe defeated Steve Pike and Joe Valenti 9-11, 11-5, 11-0, 15-3 to win the gold medal in the Open Division.
SoCal Summer Classic at Melba Bishop – 06/20/14 – 06/23/14
Melba Bishop, Oceanside, CA
- Marsha Koch and Jessica LeMire lost a tight finals match to last year’s national championship team of Jennifer Lucore and Alex Hamner by a score of 2-11, 11-13, 15-6 to take home the silver medal. In route to the finals, Marsha and Jess lost a three game match to the nationally rank team of Mona Burnett and Gigi LeMaster 11-5, 5-11, 11-1. But after battling back through two elimination matches, they defeated Burnett and LeMaster 11-7, 11-7 in the in the bronze medal match. Congratulations on a job well done and for almost upsetting the reigning national champs.
- Marsha Koch and Jessica LeMire defeated Leticia Brambila and Lydia Brambila 11-2, 11-5 to win the Women’s Doubles-(19+) Division.
2014 Meijer State Games of Michigan Pickleball Tournament – 06/20/14 – 06/22/14
MVP Fieldhouse, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
- Susan Wiartalla teamed with Patrick Crandall to defeat Cricket Miller and Frank Rytlewski 11-8, 11-8, 15-10 in the finals of the Mixed Doubles-(19-49) Division.
- Gary Ball teamed with Mark Stemerman to take home the silver medal in the Men’s Doubles-(60-64) Division.
- Tim Hacker and Charlie McKnight finished in 4th place in the Men’s Doubles-(60-64) Division.
- Nancy Meyer teamed with Susan Gapen to take the bronze in the Women’s Doubles-(55-59) Division.
Mid-South 2014 – 05/30/14 – 06/01/14
University of Louisiana, Monroe, Monroe, LA 71209
- Gary Ball took the bronze medal in the Men’s Singles-(55+) Division. Gary also teamed with Christie Borne to take the bronze medal in the Mixed Doubles-(60+) Division.